bTucson : a Tucson, Arizona Community Driven Directory
Relates to: KSAZ 580 Am

to dan babich

See no    Open Comment Window  

2010-04-26 : Hi Dan--I guess you know through the grapevine that Mom passed away in January.  Here are my concerns which I also addressed to the syndicated columnist who is published in the Jewish Post.  Hope all is well with you--Roberta.
March 7, 2010
Dear Ms. Hershberg-Lederman:  Having read your article and seen the second paragraph in the second column, I felt compelled to communicate with you.  I submitted a slightly different copy to Rabbi Locheim and to the "Post" to submit to you.  
I would very much appreciate your comments.   Sincerely, Roberta Hamet. Tucson, Arizona

Beatrice B. Hamet died January 13, 2010 at Posada
Del Sol, having been forced under hospice care by court appointed
attorney Pat James Egbert in
Tucson, Arizona.  Throughout  the whole
time of his assignment, supposedly  in the best interest of Beatrice B.
Hamet, he appeared to defend the nursing homes which caused her
illnesses from their abuse, either from negligence or forcing her to
remain against  her  against her will to stay in hot low oxygen
situations in her bedrooms  as they took advantage of her mental
incapacitation from dementia.  At Manor Care she was forced to stay in
her room so Ashley Hargadon, a caregiver, could shave Beatrice’s face
for “appearance” while I, her daughter, was kept from taking Beatrice
from going out of the room for fresh air and  sunshine.  Bill Amoureux,
relatively new Administrator of Manor Care, and Attorney Egbert
attempted to shift the description of what took place to appear as
though I took a razor from Ms. Hargadon’s hand. Julie a nurse
reported that a friend and I attempted to kidnap Mom when we took her
for a wheelchair ride in
Rillito Park early one morning for fresh
air. My friend returned Mom to the nursing unit as agreed.  Bill
Amoureux  punished us by forbidding  us to visit mom for three weeks
between August and September of 2009 until mom ended up almost bleeding
to death from her sigmoid colon area at Tucson Medical Center. Phyllis Cornell, acting in her
"Guardian ad lidem"  role which was installed at  Attorney Egbert's
instistence through the Superior  Court  of Pima County, Arizona
(which superseded my judgement) , put decisions in my hands because she
had to go out of town.  Dr. Jaabi and Dr. Deeb, at TMC, and I
communicated respectfully as we took caution in weighing “risks verses
benefits” of appropriate medical procedures in analyzing  my mother,
Beatrice Hamet's condition , considering her age of Ninety-Seven years
old, and healing her. At my request, TMC Social Service did not return
Mom to Manor Care, but instead transferred her to Posada del Sol on
September 11,1009.
(Even after this event, Court Appointed Attorney
Pat Egbert pressed on to call another hearing to defend Manor Care and
to remove my Guardianship.  My witnesses and the Public Fiduciaries (Phil
Grant and Peter Santini) spoke on behalf of my retaining the
Guardianship over Beatrice B. Hamet, my mother.
    Several weeks later I received Judge C. Harrington’s verdict to retain the “sole
guardianship" which I had petitioned for; however, in fact, Phyllis
Cornell’s position as Guardian ad lidem held fast.
    In December of 2009 and January 2010, at Posada del Sol under the care of
Colleen, a new charge nurse, Beatrice was sent to the emergency room at
TMC .( Refer to medical records.) Mom recovered in December, but was
forced by P.J.. Egbert and Phyllis Cornell’s permission,  apparently
requested by TMC after nursing staff gave mom no intravenous fluids for
about two days, and no food or drink for about three days even though
Mom was awake, moving in her bed and her stomach was growling, to put
Mom into Peppi's Hospice, run by TMC. They wouldn’t allow me to go to
Speech Therapy to request a second  swallow evaluation for Mom just
before 4:00p.m. Mom went hungry until the third or  fourth day while I
was banned by security guards of TMC to leave the facility for 72
    Mom was returned several days later to Posada del Sol
where she was able to eat thick cream of wheat and apple sauce. She now
required thickening for her liquids.  Oddysey Hospice was enforced, and
while mom could still eat, smile and breathe, they  inserted a plug in
her veins for morphine.  Seeing my dismay, the nurse practioner had it
removed.  Two days later mom  died.  (A young woman from Oddysey
appeared that afternoon—mom was dead around two hours later.)  I found
your  related article in this month’s (March  26 ,2010) publication of a local
Jewish Newspaper ;The  Arizona Jewish Post.  I was amazed at having found it without even knowing it existed as I read the paragraph which pertained to Jewish approach to responsibilities to promote life rather than choices of passive euthenasia  and abortion.   Roberta  H. in Tucson---Rabi Locheim knows who I am.

Add comment, note or news              To contact - general advice

Comments, Notes and News:

Information above is from a privately purchased database and/or unverified user submissions. Please verify all information before depending on it for anything critical. We welcome corrections!

Random Shots

FREE - add listings or comments in this category

Please report spam or fraudulent listings here
Save This Page on

Housing »
Schools »
News »
More »
mouse over the » to see subcategories

Some Recent Features